Wednesday, May 1, 2019

What do you hope your students remember?

Go Into The World - Myers Magnet


Another year of teaching is almost over! Whether you've been in the classroom for a year or 20, you likely reflect on the past year as you prepare for the last day of school.  I am sad.  I love my kiddos and am dreading letting them go.  As I reflect on my year, I want my students to not only take the academic strategies they have learned but most importantly the life lessons.  





What do you hope your students remember? 


As I look back on this school year, I think about where my students were when they came to me and where they are now.  I am beyond proud of their growth academically but most of all socially and emotionally.  I was a little surprised that my top 4 things I hope they remember from my class were not academically based concepts.  I care most about their growth as humans, as young people who are members of a community, of a team.  I hope I showed enough grace, modeled enough grit, and taught enough perseverance.  Did I teach them to be kind, to have courage, to demonstrate empathy?



If my students remember anything from my class, I hope it's__________. 


Okay, I couldn't pick just one so I narrowed it down to my top 4!


Courage



Mistakes are when learning happens.  Before anything else, my students must know school is a safe place to make mistakes.  We have our greatest learning experiences from making errors.  I want my students to always remember to work hard, be okay with failure and to get back up and keep trying.  I know it was a successful year if my kiddos leave with confidence and courage to step out of their comfort zone.  

Kindness

I must say daily "Be a kind person."  I hope my students leave with mutual respect and understanding for the opinions and cultural differences of others so they can continue to open their minds to learning and make this world a better place for everyone.  I hope they take their kindness and spread it to not only the class they end up in next year but also to their families, friends, and community.  I hope I have taught them that it is small acts of kindness that will bring them happiness.  

Love



I love my students.  I am proud to be their teacher.  Each one of them will always hold a special place in my heart.  I hope they ALL know that I care about them, and have been excited by every achievement they have made. I hope that they take the support and guidance I have given them to continue in their passion for learning and continue to succeed throughout their lives.  Most of all I hope they remember that above all they must love themselves first because they are important and can do great things.

Confidence 

Confidence is key!  I have seen some of my students transform with just a little boost of confidence.  I hope they are aware of their importance, aware of their gifts, aware of everything around them every day so that life will bring them the best as they give their best.   These kids are capable of being a force of change at school and in the community, and I hope they realize they hold a significant place in this world.  They are our future.  My wish for them is that they understand that within them lies something that NO one else can offer.  I hope that they seek their dream, conquer it and share it.  


This year has been a memorable one.  My class and I made a difference together.  I became a better teacher.  My students became lifelong learners.  It's a win-win in my eyes.  So excited for the what the future brings.  Have a wonderful summer break!




      

          Positively Teaching,   
    Randi Muehlen
                               

    1 comment:

    1. "I hope I showed enough grace, modeled enough grit, and taught enough perseverance." Powerful! =^..^=

      P.S. You are such a competent writer Friend!

      ReplyDelete

    Most Viewed Posts