Thursday, November 16, 2017

Math Journals


Math Journals
Math has changed drastically since I have been a student, from the way we learn it to the way we teach it. I recall it was a struggle to solve word problems.  When I became an educator, I decided to face this challenge and come up with ways to help students feel successful.


I want my students to succeed and own their learning.

Do your students currently struggle with word problems?  Eureka gives students opportunities to solve word problems almost daily.  Application problems have helped my students feel good about overcoming something they used to not like.

#Learningfromeachother

Application problems in first grade


Every teacher has their way of delivering a lesson based on their student needs.  I do not believe there is a right or wrong way.  This is just one approach I’d like to share on how I deliver application problems in my classroom.  
The problem is posted on the Smart Board. The first time I read the problem, I ask my class to close their eyes and visualize what is happening.  If it is a complicated problem, I read it twice. We then read the problem as a class.  I ask them to share what they noticed about the story and to keep the answer to themselves. They then share with their partner a detail they heard about the story or the question.  This part is crucial in my lesson.  If they can hear the story at least twice and share the story, they can show me if they understand the problem or not.  They then have a few minutes to work out the problem in their math journals.  They share their work with their table partner.  I pick a student or two to share their thinking using the document camera.  They love this part!  As we continue with this practice, my class starts realizing there isn’t just one way to solve word problems, there are multiple ways.   
Math journals were introduced in Module 2.  The journals provide the application problem and a space to work it out.  I used Module 1 application problems to do it whole group on the Smart Board (modeling as much as I could to work out the problems as a group).  We then transitioned to whiteboards.  After many practices, they now use their journals daily.
Math journals have become meaningful to my students and me.  They keep a record of their work, it shows their growth, and it is something tangible.  I feel my students really enjoy solving word problems every day!      


                            Always Learning,
Sabrina Blackwood





0817171448-1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts