Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Building Resourcefulness Using Resources

 As a third-grade teacher, I am keenly aware that third-grade bridges the gap between primary and upper grades. Each year, I have approximately ten months to equip my cherubs for the responsibilities they will assume as upper graders. The advantage I have is that I have taught both second grade and fourth grade. Therefore, I know what was, what is, and what will be expected of them.

Certainly, the Common Core State Standards inform my instruction in terms of letting me know WHAT skills, concepts, and knowledge my students should master by the end of the year, but they are silent when it comes to the HOW.  This silence is actually advantageous in that it provides us, teachers, with the opportunity to tap into our own storehouse of experience, expertise, and creativity. Much like my car's internal GPS proposes various routes to my final destination, I am able to create my students' instructional routes to mastery of the CCSS. And like a GPS, I can "recalculate" as necessary.

In an effort to bolster my students' independence and resourcefulness as they move towards mastery of the CCSS, I have provided each of them with a "booklet" of resources at their desks. Essentially, it's a collection of handouts, each one tucked into its own sheet protector. It is an eclectic compilation of handouts that range from academic strategies to behavioral expectations.

 The resources are subject to change depending on the need and the time of the year. For instance, at the beginning of the year, I insert a copy of The Pledge of Allegiance with numbered lines so that all students can follow along and track the words with their fingers or eyes--depending on their individual needs, abilities, familiarity with the text, and comfort level. 


  As we near the second iReady testing window, I have included a test-taking reminder handout. I copied this page directly from the iReady website. I encourage my students to do their best, but this reminder tells them specifically how I expect them to do that.


 I hope you are inspired to provide your students with the resources that you have found to be invaluable in your own classroom. Encourage students to be resourceful and to utilize those resources so that they can build independence. 


    Still Having Fun!
        Lola Jollie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts