Friday, October 15, 2021

Top 5 Reasons To Use A Visual Schedule


When I tell people I devote an entire white board to my daily schedule, they look at me like I’ve lost it. Why devote such valuable real estate to something so simple? Read on for * reasons why I strongly advocate for the use of a visual schedule in the classroom.


1. Predictability

Students know what is expected of them when. As children, they have very little control over their lives and with anxiety on the rise, adding this bit of predictability to their day helps students feel less stressed and more prepared to face the day. 


2. No more “What time is _____?” and “Are we doing _____ today?” etc.

I feature a digital clock next to my analog clock to help students identify exactly when we will be doing what. In the first couple of weeks, students will still ask and I will direct them to the schedule.


3. Learning targets and page numbers

Again, students know what to do. They can easily look at the clock, look at the schedule, and determine what subject and page number we are on. It also helps me by ensuring I highlight the learning target which has embedded IB Language.


4. Models time management and builds table reading skills

Students can see I pace my lessons according to how much time we have for each task. I tell students to “move with urgency” as we transition from task to task and they can see what they are expected to move on to next. Essentially, it’s a visual representation that even though we DO have all day, we DON’T have all day for Math or Writing and they need to focus on the task at hand.


5. Functions as an Emergency Sub Plan

I’ve had many unpredicted absences and writing out my schedule before I leave for the day ensures that no matter what, the day will run smoothly.


And there you have my top 5 reasons to utilize such valuable classroom real estate to a schedule because, really, it’s SO much more than a schedule.


As I close, I invite you to join me in these affirmations.


I am safe.

I am loved.

I am powerful.



Here for you,

Ruth Reinkymov

3rd Grade Teacher

Hawthorne IB World School



4 comments:

  1. Ms. Reinkymov - yes, yes, yes. Your concept and ideas also apply to the middle school classroom where a 50 minute period needs to be appropriately structured so students know what they are DOING today. Totally enjoyed reading your article! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this also includes the learning targets as well as materials and page numbers. What a great way to prepare your class for success and easier transitions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super! As I am in a classroom with all things visual, and required per specific learning styles... wow! So NOT a waste of a white board!!

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts