Wednesday, February 24, 2021

End of Year in 18 Class Periods (it's only February!)

 


No, I am not counting down the days but I do count each school day for my students.  Today is Day 124 of 180 days.  I also try to plan out and pace my teaching modules - then see what it looks like on the students' schedule.  

Bam!  

It then hit me that I only see my students 18 more times this year.  And that is only if there is no CAASPP testing.




Panic - Panic - Panic.  Deep breath - Deep breath - Deep breath.  Relax - Relax - Relax.


I then realized that it was important to really look at what I wanted to teach my students in these final lessons before they move onto 8th grade and high school.  What skills can I teach that will create a solid foundation for those first few months in the new grade level?  


I bring this up just to encourage you to start the backwards planning process for this year if you have not already.




For my 8th graders, I realized that the topic, "Systems of Equations" was important to teach before the end of the year.  And as I mapped it out, taking into account possible CAASPP testing and the third iReady benchmark, this topic would take me to the end of the year.  I also realized that this one topic was a good review of many other skills taught this year - solving equations, types of equations, graphing linear equations, functions, and verifying solutions.  What a great way to finish the year being able to incorporate so many other skills into one unit of study.


For my 7th graders, we start a new module today on "Angles and Triangles" that will take us to spring break and then we finish the year with the module on "Statistics and Probability."  The 7th grade curriculum allowed for the modules to be shortened according to the "Priority Instructional Content" document here.  Thus, I was able to teach two modules in these final 18 lessons that I have students.


With all of this planning, there is also flexibility within the plan to make adjustments.  If there is anything that has been more important than any other year, it is realizing that things are constantly changing and I need to be flexible in what I plan for my students.




There is so much uncertainty with these final weeks to go as the District starts the process of possible returning to in person teaching in some format.  Remember, no one has ever taught in circumstances like this - so what you are doing right now with your students should be commended.  Continue making those connections with your students every day - for many of our students this is what is sustaining them through these difficult times.  

And I encourage you to take a quick look (especially Middle School teachers) at your plan for the rest of the year - it is going to come much faster than we all think.  I want you to be able to teach those final skills that you believe are really important before moving your students to the next grade.

As always, give yourself grace - and then give yourself more of that grace,



       Kevin Stott                                    
 De Anza Middle School                
Math 7/Math 8/Integrated Math I 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts