Tuesday, February 4, 2020

The Importance of Positive Reinforcements

Now that the long month of January is behind us, we need to remind our students of classroom rules and procedures. At this time of the year, students are older and wiser, but also more comfortable. They start testing boundaries again. Negative behaviors and old habits begin to reemerge. Now is the time to use multiple positive reinforcements to manage classroom behaviors. There is not one way or easy way to do this, as every classroom and each student are different. Here are some strategies that I use with my kindergarteners that I have found useful.

5 to 1 Ratio

I have found that the 5 to 1 ratio is more important now than ever before. Students do not get enough positive praise. At home, they are constantly hearing the word "No" and to do what they are told. We need to give them something else to look forward to. If we do, then things will change for the student, the classroom, and the teacher. The 5 to 1 ratio is simple and is supported by our P.B.I.S. program. The ratio is to provide 5 positive interactions for every 1 negative interaction. When I see a student not following the routines and procedures, I praise students who are. I acknowledge them by name and thank them for listening. I will reward them with a treat, prize, or a ClassDojo point. If a student who was misbehaving begins to listen, I praise her for making a positive choice and to keep it up. High fives and dabs go a long way.

"Kobe" Our Classroom Buddy

I recently visited the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles with my family. In the gift shop, they had these small plush animals with a snap bracelet for arms. I purchased one as an incentive for positive behavior in my class. The students were told that whoever is behaving and following our classroom rules and 7 habits, they will get to take care of Kobe for the day. This has sparked major interest! Kobe is very popular. Giving students responsibility to take care of a classroom buddy gives them a sense of importance and encourages them to continue to make good choices. They learn how to be responsible and care for someone else. They have looked forward each morning to see who gets to care for him for the day.

Give Students a Choice

When a student misbehaves, I have discovered that sometimes praising others and rewarding others
in front of them does not work. At times, they may seem like they do not care and keep misbehaving. I found that if you turn it back on them and make a consequence their choice, things start to shift. I have a student that has a difficult home life. When home is not right, this student has a hard time at school. I learned through this student's behavior that they crave some type of control in their life. I discovered that if I give them a choice, they will choose to correct their behavior. For example, this student was having a hard day and constantly playing with the velcro of their shoes even after being asked to stop multiple times. It continued and they did it faster. I stopped and talked to the student and reminded them that if they continued that it was their choice to not participate in free playtime. They are telling me that they do not want to play. If they stopped and listen, then they are telling me that they want to play. I was shocked at how the behavior stopped almost immediately. When it did, I stated that I appreciated them and thanked them for making a positive choice.


Every minute, hour, and day is a chance for improvement


Now, not all of these strategies will work for every student every time. These are just some strategies that I have tried. What works for one student, may not work for another. That's alright. We're not perfect, we make mistakes, and we learn from them. Our students need to know that. They also need to know that we make mistakes as adults, but we can always learn from them and make corrections. We need to remind students that they can make a positive change every minute, hour, and day. Every day is a new day to do better and to be better. When students understand this, over time they will make positive choices. They will choose to listen and behave. They will feel loved and cared for. Once this is in place, learning can occur and academics will improve as well. Try it, see what happens in your classroom.

Maricella Mesa


2 comments:

  1. I love how the kids look forward to who gets to care for Kobe. What a great way to encourage positive behaviors and then to really make the kids special by giving them the responsibility of caring for him!

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts