Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Learning & Growing

Nurturing a Love for Literacy

As I was listening to the Jay-Z song, "Girls, girls, girls" I couldn't help singing to the tune but saying 🎶"books, books, books I do adore"🎶. And the truth is, books I do adore! My only hope is that some of that love rubs off on my students. The problem is, how can I ensure I provide them with access to enough books to spark that love? Well I think I found a  couple of ways and I'd love to share them with you. 


Collaborating with Colleagues


Create a system where you and a colleague can share your passion for literature. I'm fortunate to work with a fellow 7th grade teacher (Mrs. Valverde) that is just as passionate about books if not more than I am. So once a semester we have our students create a quick "booktalk" on their favorite book. We then review our students' work and select our favorite book talks and exchange them. Our students are psyched to read the book talk from other Wildcats while sparking that curiosity to read. Some of them expand their horizons and read a book they would have never picked out! For the first semester we "booked" each other during Halloween! Who said books couldn't be treats?  Our scholars were just as excited to receive the recommended novels as we were!

Expanding Your Library: First Book Marketplace
First Book Marketplace is a site where teachers can order books for discounted prices. Sometimes the discounted price goes down by 50% off! They rotate their book titles monthly so your choices are always broad. I've filled most of my personal library with books thanks to their wide selection and affordable prices. Not only do they provide affordable prices for teachers but they also provide access to hundreds of books to our students for free!😱 

If your school site is a Title 1 eligible school or at least 70% of your students come from low-income families you are eligible to sign-up for an account! This account gives you access to their market place (with discounted titles) and your students have unlimited access to hundreds of digital books! All you have to do is sign-up for an Open-Ebook code for each of your students. My students love it since they can read their books on their phones or Ipads. I've attached the link to sign up by the image above.

Last But Not Least: The Benefits of Books

          Can their phones or computers do this? 🠆








If you need any additional information or help feel free to contact me or comment below.😊 I hope I sparked the love of books in you!



Learning and Growing, 

Nancy Vargas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts