Monday, August 19, 2019

On the Road Again...

   


     If you were around in the 1970s like I was (wearing culottes and a matching vest), you may remember that old country tune titled "On the Road Again" recorded by Willie Nelson. For the last year or so, that song has loosely chronicled my professional life. First, I (along with everyone else at my school site) was relocated to portables. Even though I didn't have the security of being in my regular classroom, at least I had the certainty of knowing that my third-grade colleagues were only a hop, skip, and a jump away.
     But then everything changed last spring. No longer was I going to be the third-grade team leader as I had been for years and years, nor would I necessarily be a third-grade teacher. In my new reality, I would have a third/fourth-grade combination class with ten third graders and seventeen fourth graders and my new home would be one of our permanent portables--not the classroom I had become so accustomed to in the main building. 
Image result for quotes about being vulnerable
     This was certainly going to take some getting used to. But such is the life of a teacher. I was hired to teach students in the Ontario-Montclair School District. Period. Assurance of a particular grade level, a room number, or even a school site were not part of my contract. With this in mind, I resolved to embark on this new adventure with my characteristic positive attitude and my love for learning. I would glean as much information about the fourth grade as possible. For instance, during the summer, I went through the SBAC released questions.
     I even resigned from being a Spotlight teacher and writing my monthly blog. I wondered if I, a newbie in fourth grade, had anything of any real substance to share. The last time I taught fourth grade was when it was third grade--pre "Common Core." I felt like the only things I could put a "spotlight" on were my inadequacies.

     Then I experienced a complete change of heart. Why not invite other teachers to watch me struggle as a first-year fourth-grade teacher. Yes, in being completely transparent, I would be vulnerable. But if I expect my students to embrace a growth mindset and "put themselves out there,"
then why shouldn't that same expectation hold true for me also?
     So, I'm inviting you to come along with me as I grapple through this school year.

I'm on the road again!


Lola Jollie
Euclid Elementary School
Proudly serving 3rd and 4th-grade students


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts