Thursday, February 7, 2019

Building Classroom Community

During critical benchmark assessments, how can you motivate the unmotivated but also provide a nurturing environment for your most anxious students?  Quite the quandary, right?

I recently attended a workshop where I learned about how to incorporate more classroom community activities to help my students during assessment season.  Well, this week my students are taking their reading inventory which offered me the perfect opportunity to try a different approach!

Step 1 - Choosing a friend
I asked them to find a friend and sit next to them.  I handed white construction paper and had them create a card.  On the right-hand side of the card, they had to write a note of encouragement to their friend.  I asked students to think of at least two or three positive characteristics of their friend and to remind them that they are special because of these qualities.  Then I asked them to write two or three reminders of test-taking skills such as "slow down," "reread the passage," and "relax."

Step 2 - Words of inspiration
I gave them time to write their note.  After they were done they were to trade cards and read it out loud to make sure they understood the message and to feel inspired.  Next, I printed some inspirational quotes from a website I found.  Each pair of students shared one page of quotes.  They were supposed to think which quote would best help their partner feel successful in order for them to try their best during the reading inventory assessment.  They had to cut out the two quotes and glue on the left-hand side of the card and then they could decorate this side with a picture or border.

Step 3 - Share it with a friend
Finally, they placed these cards in an envelope and placed it inside their partner's book box.  On Wednesday, the day of the test, they will open the card, reread it for motivation, and know that someone is cheering for them.

Step 4 - Glue some quotes
I didn't know what to expect when I planned this but I was so inspired and touched by the kindness, thoughtfulness, and just joy that they had to help each other out.  I felt it truly fostered a sense of community and their friendship bonds became even closer.


So what were the results?  Well, on Wednesday when they took the reading inventory, they were so excited to open their cards and place them near their computers.  Afterwards, I compared results with our last reading inventory testing period and - as a whole - there was a 35% increase in their reading comprehension.  Many wanted to keep their cards for future assessments!

Happy Writing!
Gus Macuil



2 comments:

  1. I love this approach to building classroom community. That must have been so special for those students. They will definitely remember that as part of their lifelong school experiences. What a great way for kids to launch into testing season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! It was so much fun. By the way...I started using Pear Deck and the kids LOVED it! They remembered your lesson when you incorporated Pear Deck. :)

      Delete

Most Viewed Posts