Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Yes! by Randi

Image result for yes







Yes
I am always searching for ways to improve my classroom community, classroom management, teaching strategies, and relationships with kids. These are the invaluable skills we teachers must have, the glue that holds it all together.  A tool I have found to be influential is the use of the word "yes" in my class.  I realize some of you might be saying "She's crazy!" but the reality is, you can say "yes" to most things and still get the outcome you are seeking.


  Have you ever thought about the negative energy that goes into the word "no"? 



Some kids might hear "no" all too often.  To some kids the word "no" can trigger a fight or flight response.  Getting kids to do what you need rarely requires a "no." Think of the positive energy that could be happening when you use the word "yes."  Words can be powerful stuff.  Since starting to use "yes" as often as I can, I have seen the culture of my classroom become even more positive than it already was.  Children, in general, are excited to ask their teacher questions.  They should be able to approach their teacher without any feeling of fear.  Of course, kids need to be taught appropriate times to ask specific questions and to be respectful and raise their hands during a lesson, but I never want to discourage their inquiries.  When questions are academic-related, I require that they ask their partner before me, but I understand why they are seeking answers from me-I'm their teacher. I let them know I am here for them and asking me questions is okay. As long they are using their strategies, and respectfully approaching me, I will always allow it in my classroom.  But this is my choice and style.  In my class, it works.  We have a relaxed, but structured atmosphere. 



"Say Yes and you'll figure it out afterward." 
-Tina Fey


How can I successfully use "yes" in my classroom?  I have included some ideas below. Give these strategies a try!


  • May I use the restroom? Yes. In 5/10/15 minutes.

  • Will you help me with this activity? Yes. After you read the directions and ask your partner for help. (I rarely get asked again.)

  • Will you help me solve this problem? Yes. Read me the question. Usually, the student says OHHHH! and now they understand.  

  • Will you help me read this word? Yes. After you sound it out and then ask your partner.

  • May I have a band-aid? Yes. You know where they are. Quickly help yourself to one.

  • I am sick. May I go to the nurse? Yes. But first, go to the restroom and get a drink of water and let me know if you need to still go after that.

  • May I talk to ______about_______? Yes. As soon we are finished with_______, you may.

  • May I help you with___________? Yes. (Why not? I take the help if it's an appropriate time.)
  • Can you help me with ____________? Yes. (If a student has a conflict in the class or in general, and they ask me to help them, I will 100% make it a priority to help them work out a conflict.)

These are examples of common questions in my classroom.  Some of my students need to hear "yes" once in a while.  I could say "no," or I could say "What are you going to do to solve this problem?"  But instead, I say "yes" and then follow it up with a statement that allows me to have control of the situation.  I let them know that I am always available to help while allowing them time to solve problems on their own.  I have found that this strategy has increased the level of respect amongst all in the room.  




  

      Positively Teaching,   
Randi Muehlen
                           

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you phrased this! great way to re imagine our talk

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts