Monday, August 27, 2018

This is a journey of making mistakes and learning from them . . .

Start of a new school year, time to make new connections with our students through meaningful and relevant activities.

My name is Kevin and I want to welcome you into my classroom - both through this written blog and whenever you want to visit my classroom in person.  I want to share with you my journey through this year as I try new things - my successes and my failures - all in an effort to make connections with each and every one of my students.




“If you TRY, and LEARN from your MISTAKES, then you will 
PASS this class.”  
Mr. Stott

My goal with students during these first couple weeks of school is to break down barriers for those that find math intimidating and at the same time challenge students who love math to not be satisfied with where they are right now.  My struggling students are often afraid to try difficult tasks while my advanced students stress how they can fix their answers.  I repeat over and over during these opening weeks, “If you TRY, and LEARN from your MISTAKES, then you will PASS this class.”  This helps all of my students lower their anxiety level while at the same time set the expectation that you will make mistakes in this class.

(https://blogs.ams.org/mathgradblog/2016/05/26/computers-math-education/)
by K. Cluver

This year my challenge is to learn how to implement technology effectively in my classroom environment.  For the first time, I have a set of 35 laptops housed in my classroom and are for my use only - one computer to one student.  I am wondering how I can use this new resource to challenge my students, to offer intervention and support my students during their unit projects - and at the same time keep 160 students accountable for their time on the computers.  As I go through this year, I will write about using computers in my classroom on this blog.  I realize that this will be a journey of learning for myself as I try to implement computer usage in a meaningful and relevant way.

Excellence is not an act, but a habit.

Kevin Stott


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts